Friday, July 17, 2009

Dv Gx BD707B Portable DVD Boom Box Review


This was an "impulse buy" that I kept putting off. I'd look at it and think, That looks kind of cool. And then I'd wait. But the day was fast approaching when the little TV--the little ANALOG TV--that I took with me to the park was no longer going to work, and that was something I had enjoyed doing on lazy summer nights. So I finally pulled the trigger.

First impression: I wish the handle seemed stronger, and the knobs are sort of loose. It could feel better-put-together, sturdier. And I have yet to figure out how to adjust the brightness properly. BUT...it does everything I hoped it would. The sound and the picture (which is small, but that's kind of the point of a portable) are excellent. It's easy to use (but I do wish that there was an option to leave the remote behind for some functions that could have been included on the box itself)and so far hasn't eaten through batteries too fast (something my TV actually did do).

And here's how the thing has already paid for itself. My girlfriend and I were going to see "Up," but it as sold out. We set this box on the car dash in the theater parking lot and watched Ken Russell's "The Devils," with fog and rain and the shadows of passers-by as the backdrop. It was a perfectly creepy, unsettling experience. If nothing else, this gadget makes for a fine "drive-in" movie. I hesitate to recommend it too highly, because I can easily imagine it not being up to the rough treatment it will inevitably experience someday (boomboxes have to be able to take some punishment or they're not portable), but for what we've used it for so far...I've been very pleased.

Buy it here now!

0 comments: